Why We Don't Carry the Pieta Prayer Book

by Ian on October 14, 2011

Pieta Prayer Book

Pieta Prayer Book

There is a very popular prayer book available called the Pieta Prayer Book. It typically has either a blue or orange cover and the image of Michaelangelo's Pieta on the front. The book is full of wonderful prayers and is very affordable. We sold several hundred when we first opened our store.

Unfortunately, we found that the prayer book also contains private revelations from people who haven't even been recognized as Venerable by the Church and there is no indication that these revelations have been in any way approved by the Church.

Update 10/8/12: Someone in the comments found a passage in the Summa that backs the position of Mutter Vogel so we publicly acknowledge our error. Still, the book contains unapproved private revelations so we will continue not to carry it.

While most are fine, there is one section that contains heresy.

The page with revelations from Mutter Vogel has this to say:

Certainly, the Holy Sacrifice is one and the same even when it's celebrated by an unworthy priest, but the grace called down upon the people is not the same.

Pieta Prayer Book Heresy

Pieta Prayer Book

Since we first opened our policy has always been "Good Faith. Guaranteed."  which means that we don't carry many popular books including the Pieta Prayer Book.

maria October 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I have carried this prayer book for years. I worked at a Catholic ran community based care facility which is sort of like a nursing home,but where we took care of hospice patients too. I have recited the 3 beautiful prayers over many dying people as well as other prayers that are in there. I think the Pieta prayer is one of the best I have ever seen. So many powerfull prayers cramed into a small portable book. I’m sorry for any catholic shop that doesn’t sale it. It is a true jewel!!!

Ian October 14, 2011 at 1:31 pm

The problem isn’t the good stuff. It’s the heresy. There are plenty of other prayer books that don’t have anything questionable.

Carmen February 8, 2013 at 8:25 pm

You know that this little blue book has been a very big blessing to a lot of people but because of one person they will stop selling it that’s not a good thing! It always happens it takes one person to remove a great way to get closer to God but to have this great prayer book reinstated it will take a lot of good people how sad ! I truly believe that this is satan’s work so let’s start praying to get this great book back ! It took one person to remove prayer from schools n look what has happened n one person to get abortion started n now millions of baby’s are being killed what’s it going to take to wake us up !

Fellow Catholic Bookstore Owner February 12, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Ian, we agree with you completely and are just as cautious about the materials we provide for sale at our Catholic store. Bottom line is that the enemy loves nothing more than to find a backdoor in. Isn’t it interesting just how rabid people become when confronted about something that is not Magisterium approved? With all of the approved writings, etc. we have to wonder why people are so driven to seek the unapproved. Keep up the good work. You’ll be in our prayers. Pax Christi +

Ken October 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm

We have several copies at home. I’ve always liked it but always wondered about some of the folks quoted like this. Do you have a list of other items like this to avoid?

Ian October 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Unfortunately we don’t have a comprehensive list. We do have a list of publishers that will provide you with some help.

Mindy Goorchenko October 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Interesting perspective! I love this part of the book, because it reminds me to pray for priests, rather than complain when they do not do things perfectly.

Do you mind pointing me in the direction of the Catechism where I can learn more about this objection? I understand why this aspect of the text might be concerning.

Mindy Goorchenko October 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Isn’t it true though that a priest whose soul is laden with unconfessed venial sin will not have as efficacious prayers as one who does not? If I haven’t been to confession in months and my soul is burdened with sin, the graces I receive from my prayers will not be as great. At least, that is how I understand the Sacraments. Obviously the Mass and Eucharist is still valid.

Ian October 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm

@Mindy: The grace you receive is based on the state of your soul. It has nothing to do with the priest’s.

Mindy Goorchenko October 14, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I know that; just saying that some priests are more powerful than others. No? (Obviously in a spiritual sense, not earthly sense.) Or is it just a priest is a priest is a priest. Why did people flock to Padre Pio’s Masses? That’s what I mean.

Ian October 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm

People like to be in the presence of holiness.

Mindy Goorchenko October 14, 2011 at 5:33 pm

That’s all very egalitarian. So Padre Pio’s prayers while on earth during Mass were not more or less effective than anyone else’s, in your view?

Ian October 15, 2011 at 9:50 am

I would say that they were when he was in a state of grace but the grace we receive personally from the sacraments is dependent on us, not someone else.

Linny O'Hara October 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

Amen, and thank you for taking a stand. So many times evil counts on us missing the rotten bits thrown into a good pie. Bless you all, first for finding the heresy, for pointing it out, and for the courage to “put your money where your mouth is” in that you refuse to sell the tainted book.

Perhaps send your article to the publisher of the prayerbook and ask that the next printing have revisions in it. I’d be interested to hear what response the publisher makes to that request.

In the meantime, I know GOD will abundantly bless you for your courage; and I pray that you will experience prosperity, in all ways — especially spiritually — and a tremendous renewal in your life, health, love, and joy. Blessings to all!

george ufot October 24, 2011 at 5:34 am

That is not heresy, this book was vigorously checked before approval was given by the pope. The fact that a priest is un worthy doesnt make the consecration on the the bred and wine un worthy. It is left for the priest to ask for forgiveness from God.

Ian October 24, 2011 at 7:14 am

I don’t see anything in the book saying the Pope gave approval (which pope?) Also, I never said that the consecration was unworthy. The heresy is that the grace the people receive from the sacrament is dependent on the state of the priest’s soul.

RON LEGLER November 10, 2013 at 12:39 pm

IN REVIEWING THE PRAYER BOOK, POPE URBAN VI

1378-1389 ENCOURAGED THE MULTIPLICATION OF THE WRITTEN COPY OF PRAYERS GIVEN TO HER BY CHRIST.

BEINGS THAT THERE WERE NO PRINTING PRESSES IN EXISTENCE AT THAT TIME, APPROVAL THE PRAYERS WERE COPIED FROM BOOK PRINTED IN TOULOUSE IN 1746 AND PUBLISHED BY FR. PARVILLIERS OF THE SOCIETY OF JESUS.
HE HAD APPROBATION AND PERMISSION AND RECOMMENDATION TO SPEAD THE DEVOTION. BLESSED POPE PIUS IX ON MAY 31, 1862 BLESSED THE REVELATIONS OF ST. BRIDGET. THE CONGRESS OF MALINES RECOMMENDED THE PRAYERS ON 8/22/1853. POPE BENEDICT XV FURTHER APPROVED THE PRAYERS AS REASONABLE TO BE PUBLISHED AND SUPPORTED SUFFICIENT MOTIVES THAT ON MIGHT BELIEVE IN THEM PIOUSLY.

lisa November 5, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I have had nothing but Great things that have happened with the Blue Pieta Prayer book…. In fact it has loosened many hardened hearts… and saved many who would possibly not been saved….. I understand that one of the prayers may not have been validated,but for the most part it is quite valuable and has made me feel closer to our spiritual father and mother….and has helped me and some others i know get to a higher spiritual self in what we see and others don’t experience…. Thank You for the Gift….

danboyi gomsuk January 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I think the premises on which Ian’s arguments are based are false:
1. Firstly, he wrote, “…the prayer book also contains private revelations from people who haven’t even been recognized as Venerable by the Church and there is no indication that these revelations have been in any way approved by the Church.”

The point here is this: many writings of great saints, eg, St. Thomas Aquinas, had been accepted without any written approval by the Church even before the saint was eventually canonized. The Church looks at a writing and asks, ‘does this writing violate the teachings of the Church?’ If the answer is a ‘no’, then such writing is left as it is, since it would help the faithful in their understanding of the faith. That is what is applicable to the writing and quotations in reference in this debate. And this brings me to the second part of Ian’s argument founded on another false premise.

2. Ian’s second argument was based on this quotation: “Certainly, the Holy Sacrifice is one and the same even when it’s celebrated by an unworthy priest, but the grace called down upon the people is not the same.”

This statement is perfectly in order and there is NO HERESY whatsoever associated with it! Every priest is a priest of God and that is not contestable, regardless of whether such a priest lives according to his vows or not. The reasoning behind this is because such a priest had received the sacrament of Holy Orders which had conferred on him the power of priesthood at ordination. And this power never diminishes even when the priest commits mountains of mortal sins. Similarly, the Sacrament of Baptism, for example, confers on the beneficiary that right to become a child of God and a Christian; this benefit never diminishes a bit even when the Christian beneficiary commits mountains of mortal sins; he/she is still a Christian. But, like the Sacrament of Holy Orders do the graces obtained from God remain the same when the Christian or priest lives in sin and then prays to God or celebrates the Holy Mass respectively?

One can see immediately that the answer to this question is, of course, a ‘No’. The more one extricates oneself from sin, the stronger or easier would one call the more graces from God. Similarly, the more a priest strives for holiness and lives in near-perfect virtue, the more graces this priest would call from God during the celebration of the Holy Mass. For example, one should realize that even all the saints in Heaven are not equal. Though without sin, their intercessory powers are not the same. For example, one cannot compare the Blessed Virgin Mary with any other saint in terms of powers to reach the Almighty God and obtain favors, including graces. This is because the Blessed Virgin Mary had never committed any sin during her life on earth; some other saints, as we know, had been converts by the mercy of Almighty God.

Accordingly, a more virtuous priest would surely attract more graces at Mass than a priest living in sin, though both have that power, conferred by the Sacrament of the Holy Orders, to make the Holy Mass as valid as is expected in the eyes of Almighty God.

Therefore, Ian’s assertion of a heresy is only culled from a surface understanding of the issues at stake. There is NO HERESY whatsoever in that writing of Mutter Vogel.
Thank you!

Angelle February 9, 2012 at 12:08 am

Why not just take a white printing label and stick it over that section of the book? The Pieta prayer book is my favorite and I’d hate to throw the whole thing out just because of that one part. I know that there are lot’s of other prayer books out there but I’ve looked through most of them (I work at a Catholic bookstore) and I have yet to find one I like as much as the Pieta book.

Judy Santolino March 26, 2012 at 8:48 am

Gee, what mind reading school did you go to to just know it is hersey? Did you get the facts and really check it out. The Church has the authority to do that, not you or I.

Bona April 8, 2012 at 1:21 am

Disregarding a whole book because two questionable lines is unfair. People should be advices to disregard those two line and not the entire book. I have used the book for years and I think the prayers are great. I don’t really consider all the wonderful claims made in the book. I just think the prayers there are beautiful

Ian April 8, 2012 at 1:34 am

There are plenty of prayer books available without questionable claims by unapproved visionaries.

Marianne May 8, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I am really surprised that you would go to this extreme. This is the most powerful little prayer book around. Granted some of the stuff is not imprimatur approved but to me the article about the Priests are common sense. I will continue to read and pray out of this little book. I have passed it to many people. Just to make a point it takes the church a long time to approve anything.

Did the Catholic Church state specifically that this is heresy?

Ian May 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Whether or not this is heresy doesn’t matter because the book contains locutions from people who haven’t been approved by the Church. As a policy since we opened we don’t carry anything about unapproved visions or locutions.

jack joe May 26, 2013 at 5:31 am

if they do not contradict The Teachings of The Catholic Church you CAN and SHOULD print it -
And there are People who’d job it is to make that determination.

- For example, Medjugorie.
While on a personal pilgrimage there in 1990… during a Mass I was SHOWN The Eucharist was Truly Absolutely TRULY The KING of All Kings! GOD !
– (I’d always thought It was a symbol! -ha! wrong!)
Also.. Had a miracle-dream there too after reading the book:
– True Devotion, by Saint Louis DeMontfort
– Now NO apparitions CAN BE APPROVED until they have all ended.. and since they have not it will not yet be approved – so you carry NOTHING on that too?

Who ARE YOU to Choose what IS Readable and GOOD and What Is NOT?
Let The Catholic Church Do It’s Thing and Decide what is Printable and a-ok to read and what isn’t – Don’t play Pope or Bishop on us Ian – It’s not the kind of responsibility you want over your head. Not at all. Let The Church allow it or dis-allow.
- While you do your Own Job and allow people the option to read what The Church deigns is ok to read… if it does NOT go against The Church Teaching it is GOOD and FINE to read AND (this is to you) make available to people by offering them for sale.

Still Not Sure?
RESEARCH The Pieta Prayer Book – RESEARCH WHO/WHERE Makes the final say so on these matters and LET THEM DO THEIR JOB – Don’t over-ride them or think you know better.

Peace be with you – Truth and peace be with us all.
and everyone remember: Mercy.
never be seen or speak without it. :)

danboyi gomsuk May 10, 2012 at 1:13 am

Yes, Ian, you may continue with your kind of egocentric policy but you MUST not dabble into things you know nothing about. Concentrate on your business of selling books but leave spirituality and matters concerning the workings of the Catholic Church to those who understand, studied and are therefore unarguable authorities on them.
As far as I can remember, I did not buy my Pieta book from your bookstore and I’m sure most other owners of this very valuable book did not buy it from your bookstore! Thank Heavens, your bookstore business is NOT a monopoly. We live in a free enterprise society where healthy competition is the norm.

Ken C May 10, 2012 at 7:20 am

Every bookseller makes prudential judgments about what to chhose to sell. I like Ian’s policy best. There is a pretty good bookstore by our house with some very goods things. Unfortunately, it also carries people like Kung, Chittister, Rohr, etc. Heresy is not hard to find. Ian sincerelty pointed out some real issues with Pieta that made me reconsider its value.

MaxMarie June 4, 2012 at 7:16 pm

AMEN! The reasoning is sound. I love my Pieta Prayer Book. But I have several others that are directly FROM the church. It is a wise suggestion to focus on those.

Thank you Ian!

danboyi gomsuk June 5, 2012 at 12:35 am

I don’t really see why some people would be making a heavy weather out of this! This Pieta Book has been existing for a very long time; and from all the introductory texts in it, there is every reason to conclude that generations of the Catholic Hierarchy had perused the book’s contents and had even made approvals as to the book’s contents! None of these members of the Church’s hierarchy had pointed out what Ian is/has been whinning about. I don’t know Ian’s background, other than his claim to be a bookseller, but I may safely say he is NOT a member of the Catholic Church’s hierarchy. This being the case, I suppose Ian should not arrogate to himself the function of the pope, cardinal, archbishop, bishop or parish priest of the Catholic Church. These are people specifically trained in matters of Divinity and all other relevant spheres of knowledge that make them stand out as accredited, authoritative and representative pastors in the Catholic Church. When someone outside this fold begins to dabble in matters he/she knows next to nothing about, then the consequential show of being a charlatan becomes quite repulsive. The use of a book is at the user’s discretion; anybody not satisfied with the use of the Pieta Book is free to stop its use (for himself/herself) but please don’t begin to spread your ignoramus, warped, truncated and jaundiced knowledge of matters you know nothing about. That is scandalous and should be resisted. However, if Ian wants to show us he is now an ‘incarnated’ Martin Luther or other past objectionable heretics, then he should tell us and we shall look at him from a different perspective.

Ken C June 5, 2012 at 7:34 am

Danboyi, you seem to be the one making the most heavy weather about this, at least given the high word count of your ranting posts. If you want a Pieta book, there are many places to find it.

danboyi gomsuk June 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

Ken C, you are one of those people who reason while sitting on their heads! That’s all I have for you. Cheers!

Ian June 5, 2012 at 8:12 am

You can call me all the names in the world you want but we aren’t changing our policy. You can either accept that we actually care about what we carry or you can shop somewhere else where they carry anything that has the word “Catholic” slapped on it.

You are also free to get an account with the publisher and buy the Pieta books in bulk so you can have your own apostolate where you give them away to everyone.

It's Just Laura February 9, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Sorry to jump on such an old post, but although you are right in the assertion that the Aquinas and More owners are not clergy or religious, they do a far better job monitoring things than they do. Just go to the Catholic store across town that is run by the sisters and look at the wacky stuff they sell and you’ll know what I mean.

Sir Humphrey June 22, 2012 at 3:26 am

My copy has an Imprimatur (Cardinal Spellman) and a NIHIL Obstat!

Ian June 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Interesting. None of the current ones do. Maybe it has been edited since?

Keith July 31, 2012 at 5:38 am

It would be interesting to get more details of your copy, for the benefit of everyone; and clarifications for doubts raised.

I see Ian standing on ground rules of the Church and it is good. His stand is reasonable as he does not want to disobey the Magesterium, a commitment of all Catholics by their choice and why is everyone going on at him. Try changing the laws/ rules at the source itself then come back with this Ian will then stand on it and reverse the current position. Isnt that right.

Love is the answer, not disobedience. Please friends.

Bonnie August 14, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Thank you, Ian, for your caution. I, too, sell books & try to make sure there is nothing against the Faith in them. I found a copy of the Pieta & was googling to find more info about it. After reading your objections, I checked the front of the book for the Nihil Obstat and/or Imprimatur. There is an Imprimatur, but it specifies ONLY the 15 prayers of St. Bridget of Sweden, not the other content of the book.

While there are some wonderful prayers in this booklet, these same prayers are available elsewhere. There is no need to mix heresy with the good.

Thanks again & God bless,
Bonnie

Concerned Catholic January 22, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Bonnie,

The VAST MAJORITY of the book has individual Imprimatur, Nihil Obstat, Indulgences by Popes or quotes from Saints.

What is heresy? Some have unknowingly and *wrongly* called Mutter Vogel’s words heresy!! By both papal decree and St. Thomas in the Summa it is NOT heresy!!!

I understand and do not disapprove of caution in selling books. But I DO disapprove of the lack of caution in labeling things “heresy”!! How sad for the many who have read this website and wrongly went away believing truth to be heresy before the website recanted!!

Nick September 17, 2012 at 1:18 am

Great article! I made a video that includes two doctrinal errors in the Pieta, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7iqGUm2uCY&list=PLA973185BB07CC682&index=3&feature=plpp_video

Best way to get people to stop reading the Pieta and such books is to teach them whatever good is contained therein (ex: the Rosary) while condemning whatever evil is contained therein (ex: Bridget promises).

Annie September 29, 2012 at 11:01 am

Nick, are you saying the 15 St. Bridget prayers are evil?

Danboyi Gomsuk September 30, 2012 at 4:26 am

People like Nick must stop leading people astray! Mr Nick, you don’t qualify in any way to make pronouncements on this matter. And you are no better, no highly placed than the Church Council that approved the St. Brigids Prayer and the associated promises. So stop arrogating to yourself what you are not, all in the name of free speech.

TS Aquinas October 7, 2012 at 5:49 pm

St. Thomas Aquinas on this subject in Summa Theologica

Article 6. Whether the mass of a sinful priest is of less worth than the mass of a good priest?

Objection 1. It seems that the mass of a sinful priest is not of less worth than that of a good priest. For Pope Gregory says in the Register: “Alas, into what a great snare they fall who believe that the Divine and hidden mysteries can be sanctified more by some than by others; since it is the one and the same Holy Ghost Who hallows those mysteries in a hidden and invisible manner.” But these hidden mysteries are celebrated in the mass. Therefore the mass of a sinful priest is not of less value than the mass of a good priest.

Objection 2. Further, as Baptism is conferred by a minister through the power of Christ Who baptizes, so likewise this sacrament is consecrated in the person of Christ. But Baptism is no better when conferred by a better priest, as was said above (64, 1, ad 2). Therefore neither is a mass the better, which is celebrated by a better priest.

Objection 3. Further, as the merits of priests differ in the point of being good and better, so they likewise differ in the point of being good and bad. Consequently, if the mass of a better priest be itself better, it follows that the mass of a bad priest must be bad. Now this is unreasonable, because the malice of the ministers cannot affect Christ’s mysteries, as Augustine says in his work on Baptism (Contra Donat. xii). Therefore neither is the mass of a better priest the better.

I answer that, There are two things to be considered in the mass. namely, the sacrament itself, which is the chief thing; and the prayers which are offered up in the mass for the quick and the dead. So far as the mass itself is concerned, the mass of a wicked priest is not of less value than that of a good priest, because the same sacrifice is offered by both.

Again, the prayer put up in the mass can be considered in two respects: first of all, in so far as it has its efficacy from the devotion of the priest interceding, and in this respect there is no doubt but that the mass of the better priest is the more fruitful. In another respect, inasmuch as the prayer is said by the priest in the mass in the place of the entire Church, of which the priest is the minister; and this ministry remains even in sinful men, as was said above (Article 5) in regard to Christ’s ministry. Hence, in this respect the prayer even of the sinful priest is fruitful, not only that which he utters in the mass, but likewise all those he recites in the ecclesiastical offices, wherein he takes the place of the Church. on the other hand, his private prayers are not fruitful, according to Proverbs 28:9: “He that turneth away his ears from hearing the law, his prayer shall be an abomination.”

Reply to Objection 1. Gregory is speaking there of the holiness of the Divine sacrament.

Reply to Objection 2. In the sacrament of Baptism solemn prayers are not made for all the faithful, as in the mass; therefore there is no parallel in this respect. There is, however, a resemblance as to the effect of the sacrament.

Reply to Objection 3. By reason of the power of the Holy Ghost, Who communicates to each one the blessings of Christ’s members on account of their being united in charity, the private blessing in the mass of a good priest is fruitful to others. But the private evil of one man cannot hurt another, except the latter, in some way, consent, as Augustine says (Contra Parmen. ii).

Vogel’s passage is without heresy, recant your position and give due honor to the truthfulness of the text.

Ian October 8, 2012 at 10:34 am

Thank you for finding this. We agree that we were in error as to the statement in the book but our policy of not carrying books containing locutions and visions that have not been officially approved stands.

RCDianne November 6, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I guess I must be reading a different passage because, in almost every paragraph, it specifically says there is no difference between the Mass celebrated by a “bad” priest and a “good” priest. The Summa spoke about the difference in the graces from the prayers of the priest (i.e. the Mass intentions, the blessings, etc.). In other words, if a priest is guilty of unconfessed mortal sin then there is no difference in the graces one receives by attending Mass and receiving Holy Communion but there IS a difference in the graces received by the one for whom the Mass is offered.

Which brings us to the Latin phrase: Ex opere operato, one the Church has long used.

Fr. Saunders refers to the Summa and to the Council of Trent when he writes: In the Middle Ages, when clerical laxity was a problem in some areas, St. Thomas Aquinas (d. 1224) taught, “The sacrament is not wrought by the righteousness of either the celebrant or the recipient, but by the power of God” (Summa Theologiae, III, 68, 8). In response to the objections of certain Protestant reformers, the Council of Trent in its Decree on the Sacraments (1547) declared, “If anyone says that a minister in the state of mortal sin, though he observes all the essentials that belong to the performing and conferring of the sacrament, does not perform or confer the sacrament, anathema sit ["let him be condemned"]. Finally, the Catechism asserts, “From the moment that a sacrament is celebrated in accordance with the intention of the Church, the power of Christ and His Spirit acts in and through it, independently of the personal holiness of the minister” (no.1128). http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0536.html

As much as I like the majority of the prayers in the Pieta Prayer Book, I have to believe you were correct in calling Vogel’s passage heretical.

Concerned Catholic January 22, 2013 at 2:46 pm

To see the quote from the Summa directly go to: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/4082.htm

It was all posted above but not clear as to what part was quoted and what was not (fyi – a decretal is a papal decree!!):
BEGIN QUOTE “On the contrary, It is stated in Decretal i, q. 1: “The worthier the priest, the sooner is he heard in the needs for which he prays.”

Again, the prayer put up in the mass can be considered in two respects: first of all, in so far as it has its efficacy from the devotion of the priest interceding, and in this respect there is no doubt but that the mass of the better priest is the more fruitful. In another respect, inasmuch as the prayer is said by the priest in the mass in the place of the entire Church, of which the priest is the minister; and this ministry remains even in sinful men, as was said above (Article 5) in regard to Christ’s ministry. Hence, in this respect the prayer even of the sinful priest is fruitful” END QUOTE

It is important to understand that what Papal Decree, St. Thomas AND Muter Vogel all say is that: THE SACRAMENT IS NO LESS OR MORE no matter how worthy or unworthy the priest ONLY IN THE PRAYERS DO WE SEE A DIFFERENCE!

Mindy Goorchenko November 14, 2012 at 1:50 am

I recently saw a new edition of the Pieta Prayer Book, and must admit great disappointment to find new material in it dedicated to Medjugorje. That will be the thing that keeps me from passing this book along for now. For the record, my favorite prayer book is “Prayers and Heavenly Promises” by Joan Carrol Cruz. Will stick with my tried and true. :-)

Concerned Catholic January 22, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Medjugorje is not necessarily illegitimate – it simply is not YET recognized OR condemned by the Church. There is NO SIN in following **WITH CAUTION** things that have not been approved by the Church, as long as the Church has not issued disapproval or condemnation of those things.

“While the Vatican has said dioceses should not organize official pilgrimages to Medjugorje, it has said Catholics are free to visit the town and pray there..”

You can be assured that the Church is keeping a very watchful eye on current events, and will condemn it at any sign of evil.

laura November 19, 2012 at 7:37 am

I didn’t go out and buy my book, my mother gave it to me before her death. When I wore out that copy, my grandmother gave me one of hers before she died. Then, when that book too, was worn and frayed, I found one in my room in a box. To this day I don’t know where it came from. I understand the arguments, but I love this book. The prayers are beautiful, there is nothing within it that is wicked or cruel and, those prayers have all ways helped me. Every one should do what they think is right. Pray, Love, and be Blessed.

PANE1 January 12, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Whats drawn me toward the pieta prayer book is that the majority of the prayers were approved by popes, passed down from Mary, angels, Jesus, written by saints, indulgences from popes, ect.
Most of the prayer books out there are traditional prayers compiled with others written by random people. Ian, you keep talking about other resources for prayers but yet fail to mention any… thank you Mindy for your reference. But my main point is whether or not you choose to believe in apparitions(although a lot of them have been approved) is irrelevant as long as the message (or prayer) is inspired, without conflict. I’m sure theres other books in the store with apparitions not critiqued so hard, eg: Heaven is for Real.

Canon 826.3 states: “Books of prayers for the public or private use of the faithful are not to be published without the permission of the local ordinary.”

Ian January 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Actually, we don’t carry any books with visions or apparitions that haven’t been approved. I never once considered carrying Heaven is for Real.

Freddie Groggs February 11, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I completely agree with “Pane1″, the Pieta Prayer Book has helped me “pass souls into Heaven” with the prayers for the dying. I had then been assured by both the Holy Spirit and vision dreams (these being only inspired by God), that they are indeed in Heaven.

The Pieta Prayer Book has also improved my own prayer life and has given me MANY graces. I have NO COMPLAINTS! How can something that has produced so much good, be evil?

Also, the Imprimantur printed in the front of the book (at least in my copy, which is older) was for the ENTIRE book, not just the 15 Beautiful Prayers of St. Bridget. Just thought you should all know this…

Peggy February 28, 2013 at 7:58 am

My Pieta prayer book has certainly changed my life! I learned so many new prayers and devotions. As far as promises attached to certain prayers, I am under the impression that one can’t use them as “magic charms” to earn certain privileges in heaven but that a devotion to a certain aspect of the faith can bring great graces upon a person. By praying St. Bridget’s prayers for a year, I became immersed in the Passion of Christ and sought to learn and read more about it. I don’t necessarily believe that I will merit all the promises attached to the devotion, but I do know that saying those prayers for a year brought many graces and blessings to my life and established a lifelong devotion to daily prayer.

Ian, now that the issue of the “heresy” of Mutter Vogel has been cleared up, can you please be more specific about the other parts of the Pieta that are objectionable to you? Your replies above are vague, and since this is a popular post, it would be helpful if you could point out the other passages so that they can be researched or perhaps crossed out of the copies of those of us who love this little prayer book but don’t want to be led astray.

Ian February 28, 2013 at 4:44 pm

We don’t carry anything with apparitions or visions by people who haven’t been declared at least venerable by the Church.

Jenny May 24, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Hi Ian,

My little brother just gave me a copy of this book and while I did notice the passage being discussed, I otherwise love it (the book).

My question is about the MLOR organization which puts it out. Why does this organization exist when the Church has discredited the apparition claims? Also, how can they legally copyright the contents of the book when they are not MLOR’s original work? Copyrights should go to St. Gabriel for the Hail Mary, and to the Blessed Mother for the Magnificat, etc., should they?

Which prayer book DO you recommend; as long as it’s not printed in China?

Jenny

Note: this version of the comment has corrections and a clarification.

Steve June 10, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Dear Whoever, I have had this book with me for over 20+ years and love the prayers in it and have offered them up in good faith whether I am in the state of grace or not. I don’t quite understand the argument. I believe or at least hope we are all trying our best. Jesus obviously has the last say but I do believe that the little footnote about praying to God to help the priest is pretty much exactly what he would say and want us to just the same if we saw someone struggling to walk. As far as graces go I would tend to think that people going to a Mass under such a priest who went in good faith would not be penalized for their participation. How can anyone except God know the state of someone’s soul. If you gave to a charity without actually knowing that the people who ran it were crooks and you gave from your heart in good faith, would that sacrifice be with less in God’s eyes? Again, how could you know. What is impossible for man is always possible with God!

Anonymous July 24, 2013 at 12:32 pm

So, if you go to mass celebrated by Padre Pio vs mass celebrated by a BAD priest, I am sure you would feel the difference. Terrible argument if a 23 year old can dismantle it in 5 seconds.

Joy October 15, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Saying Pieta prayer are very useful, touching and emotional feelings towards the Passion of Christ. It’s really up to the person true faith and believed Christ has die for you and me. I beg you people to pray for the priest they have offer their life to served and continue preaching the work Jesus has done. Remember there’s no bad priest……priest are all been blessing…if any priest got weakness…..is nature of human being, but pray for them so they have touching hearts also support them at any way you can

Mike Warren March 18, 2014 at 4:35 am

The Pieta Prayer book points towards our goal, to imitate and act as Christ directed us – not to waste our time bickering over a few lines in what is a very beautiful prayer book. Use your time in this world wisely. The good Lord will judge us by our actions towards other, not by how many prayers we can read. Let me know when you get around to dissecting the Bible – plenty more material you can object to in there than in one little prayer book.