Don't Worry About the CPSIA - This Would NEVER Happen

by Ian on February 20, 2009

Pretend for a second that the CPSIA law doesn't really say what it says.

Then pretend that there aren't "safety" advocates out there just looking for blood in the water.

Then pretend that these people won't be contacting your local attorney general or the Consumer Product Safety Commission on their anonymous tip line.

Got it?

Then this email sent to another Catholic store shouldn't scare you at all:

(the company asked that we remove the redacted version of the email for fear of actual retribution so I'll summarize)

An individual said that if he didn't receive an immediate reply from the company proving their compliance he had a group of concerned parents ready to call the store's congressmen, the state's attorney general and the Consumer Product Safety Commission to turn them in and hoped that they could deal with the fines they would incur.

There are groups out there, like the ones that sued the New York Attorney General into enforcing the phthalate ban, that will be quite happy to destroy your business all for the "sake of the children". Get serious people. The threat of the CPSIA is real.

Wacky Hermit February 20, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Oh my gosh, that’s scary as HELL. What kind of sick, twisted busybody has nothing better to do than to SEEK OUT people selling pewter crosses and shake them down? If you ever track down these people, send them over to my house where I can put them to productive work making soy cheese and scrubbing my bathrooms.

Tristan Benz February 20, 2009 at 8:38 pm

And this is why I have the BOLD MESSAGE on my home page (http://www.maidenUS.com) that I do – people are living with their heads in the sand if they think this law isn’t dangerous. It was NOT crafted by the will of WE the people – and only WE the people, standing up together, on behalf of OUR children, will have a fighting chance to ensure that our children are raised with their core rights and freedoms in tact. My real tirade is on my blog – THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!! I will link to you ASAP.

Fran February 20, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Even though it costs a fortune in time and profit, small businesses simply cannot afford not to be compliant. Shame on people who have nothing better to do than harrass others who are making an honest living.

Shalimar February 21, 2009 at 10:28 am

Perhaps the CPSIA could go after the REAL threat to children… all those millions being killed in the womb. I mean, HELLOOOO, people!

Anne February 22, 2009 at 2:25 pm

I hope this shop notifies their legislators who think the stay fixes everything that this kind of thing is going on they are being threatened.

marianne February 25, 2009 at 9:43 pm

With all the problems facing our country and world today, so sad that this person (or group) is focusing on shutting down a business who is dedicated to the good of God and people.

Mary March 4, 2009 at 9:55 am

Oh my gracious!

Does anyone doubt that these new laws are to control who can be in business? I can really envision certain groups being targeted, while a blind eye is turned to the favortie ones.

Philanthropies are being targeted and bullied into promoting politically correct foundations…

Religious books stores are being bullied…

Catholic hospitals are being targeted with FOCA

When does it end??

And just think, lead levels are actually down 84% after 20 years….
This law is about control.

Jen March 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm

And these are supposed to be Catholic folks? I’m a practicing Catholic, very active in my Parish. For a Catholic to say something like that is so wrong on so many different levels!!!

Phyllis March 24, 2009 at 9:17 pm

It makes you wonder. Is some anti-religion group targeting stores like ours in a deliberate attempt to use the law to topple religous organizations and businesses? Religion isn’t exactly “politically correct” anymore. Just a thought.