Actually, no. The still from the You Tube video of thirteen pro-life protesters, including two priests, who did get arrested at the Democratic National Convention just happens to show our pastor, Fr. Tom in the midst of the group right before the arrests. He was actually giving them a blessing.
The police in Denver have mellowed since the days when my Aunt was in Operation Rescue. At one rally the police all took off their badges so you couldn't file a complaint, used excessive force including choking my aunt and tossed her in jail after confiscating her asthma medicine. I sometimes wonder if the US bishops had stood united with the folks from Operation Rescue if the abortion debate would have been settled twenty years ago.
Fr. Tom had been a participant in the prayer vigil at the new Planned Parenthood abortuary in Denver that just opened the night before. The vigil featured Alveda King, niece of Martin Luther King.
Since the DNC is still in town and Obama has been annointed as the nominee here are a couple of things to keep in mind about him:
- He is more rabidly pro-abortion than NARAL. Even NARAL didn't oppose a law that would make it illegal for babies who survive an abortion to be left to die. Obama repeatedly voted down legislation meant to protect these poor babies and then lied about it repeatedly.
- Obama has promised Planned Parenthood that the FIRST thing he will sign into law upon becoming president is the "Freedom of Choice Act", a law removing any restrictions on abortion.
If you are interested in the circus that Nancy Pelosi has become, American Papist has the goods.
Since so much effort is being devoted to distorting the Faith and trying to convince Catholics that abortion is really just a little issue, it's time to arm yourself with some rational thoughts on the matter:
- Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship (USCCB)
- Render Unto Caesar (Archbishop Charles Chaput)
- Voter's Guide for Serious Catholics (Catholic Answers)
- Compendium of Social Doctrine of the Catholic Church