The Latest Faith and Family Magazine, edited by famous Catholic mom Daniel Bean, has a great interview with Eduardo Verastegui about his reversion to the Catholic faith and his new role in the movie Bella.
He's known as the "Brad Pitt of Mexico," but Eduardo Verastegui may soon be regarded as Mexico's "Jim Caviezel."
Once a notorious playboy, the singer, actor, model, and film producer experienced a powerful reversion to his Catholic faith four years ago. In the process, he gave up his fame and fortune to pursue film projects that glorify God.
The first of those is Bella. The film won the prestigious People's Choice Award at the Toronto Film Festival last fall. Bella will be out in limited release in late October. Filmmakers are asking for support on its opening weekend so they can push for wide release shortly thereafter.
Unfortunately, Faith and Family isn't available on-line (hint, hint) so I'll just mention some highlights here.
- "I was one of those Catholics who made my own Catholicism because that's what I thought it was - as long as I don't kill, I'm a good person, you know. You go to Mass twice a year at Christmas and Easter and pray every night."
- "We signed with Sony Music and traveled to 16 countries. We were a very successful band. After 3 1/2 years, I wasn't content anymore. I left the band and acted in Mexican soap operas for five years. My biggest dream was to do a movie in English."
- "I needed to understand the pain the other person in the film was going through, so I ended up going to an abortion clinic. I thought it was going to be easy. I'm doing my homework as an actor. I'll stop the first girl I see and ask her questions.So I arrived, and I was in shock when I saw all of these 13-,14-,15-year-old girls going in."
- "I saw a little group outside trying to talk to them and convince them not to do it. One of the ladies in that group told me the couple was from Mexico and they didn't speak any English. We ended up talking for 45 minutes. I gave them my number, then they left. They didn't go in."
- "I received a call, months later. It was the man who was with her that day. And he said, "I don't know if you remember me. I want to ask your permission to call my son 'Eduardo.'"
- "Bella is the fruit of 3 1/2 years of sacrifice, of saying No to a lot of offers that were not honoring God."
- "If God wants me to use my talents in this career so I can glorify him: Thanks be to God!"
This movie is worth supporting and getting into theaters. Please read our previous post on how you can help.