Solemn Mass Bleg

by Ian on August 8, 2006

For reasons I'm not going to get into here, the only weekly Solemn Mass in our diocese was terminated last month.

I am interested in where other places are that actually have them. If you could, list the parish, diocese, website and a brief description about what they do (all Latin, some Latin, chant, bells, incense, etc.)

I know of four parishes in the country where such a Mass exists and would like to compile a more complete list.

To start:

Holy Ghost - Denver
Weekly 10:30 am

Has chant with organ, incense, bells, male-only servers, polyphony and traditional hymns and on major feasts a full orchestra.

St. Agnes - Minneapolis
Entire parish

Dream parish for those wanting to see what Vatican II intended - polyphony, chant, Mass at original high altar, almost entirely in Latin

Arlington - I know it exists, don't know where it is.

Dallas - Fr. Paul was removed from his parish and took the Mass with him to his new assignment.

Please let other bloggers know about this post as I would really like as much help as possible in compiling this list.

Fr Keyes August 8, 2006 at 7:49 pm

Think of it as progressive solemnity, and we are progressing at it rather slowly. So far, the mass is sung in its entirety, some Latin, mostly English, with choir, and incense. We have a deacon who does not sing. It is every Sunday at 10:00am at St. Edward, Newark, CA http://stedwardcatholic.org

charlotte August 9, 2006 at 5:28 am

Fr. Paul’s new church is St. William the Confessor in Greenville, TX. The church has a website:
His solemn Mass is at 11:30 on Sunday mornings.

As for the Arlington one, if you mean TX, the only one I can think of is the Anglican Use parish St. Mary the Virgin. Their web address is http://www.stmarythevirgin.org.

Hope some of this helps!

Chris from St. Mary's August 9, 2006 at 7:27 pm

Actually, I think he means Virginia.

I live in Michigan. Sorry, can’t help with that one.

When you say Solemn Mass, do you mean Traditional Latin Mass, as in the High Mass? Please clarify.

Diane K August 9, 2006 at 8:33 pm

I was compiling a list of parishes which celebrate reverent Novus Ordo Masses in a more traditional manner. Here is that list. I used Catholic.com’s forums to find parishes through other partcipants.

List of Parishes

The reason I did this is because of the development of a new, full blown website (in other words – non blog), devoted in part to parishes much like Assumption Grotto. Despite the name of the website (still in park because I haven’t had time to even make an “under construction” page), it will also carry parishes which celebrate reserved, reverent, and solemn Novus Ordo’s done versus populum.

The name of the site will be: AdOrientem.com

It will be more than just a list when I am done with it, God willing. I saw the need as far back as last year, to have a resource for parishes celebrating solemn Masses.

Here is my post on it:

AdOrientem.com post

God Bless in your endeavor – in making a list, and in finding a parish that will enable you to worship God the way your heart desires.

kitty August 10, 2006 at 10:55 am

Chris: He does not mean “Tridentine” or High Mass from the 1962 missal. A Solemn Mass is the “Novus Ordo” done following the directives of Vatican II (incense, bells, Gospel procession, chant, polyphony, altar servers more than just window dressing, etc.).

charlotte August 13, 2006 at 6:55 pm

From St. Mary the Virgin’s bulletin in Arlington,TX:

8:00 A.M. Low Mass, Rite I BDW, p. 284
10:30 A.M. Solemn Mass, Rite II BDW, p. 328
6:00 P.M. Low Mass, Rite II BDW, p. 328

Edward Montgomery August 14, 2006 at 10:10 am

I don’t know for sure but I am willing to bet than the diocese of Lincoln, NE has such a Mass.

Funky Dung September 2, 2006 at 7:34 am

The Pittsburgh Oratory in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

11AM Sunday mass is a solmen “reform of the reform” Novus Ordo mass with incense, bells, sung Latin ordinary, and classic organ-based hymns.

Funky Dung September 2, 2006 at 7:35 am

solemn, even ;)

Ed September 5, 2006 at 11:26 am

The 11AM Sunday Mass at the Oratory is far from a Solemn Mass. I have served and attended many a Solemn Mass. It does have what you say. However, it is a sung low mass, not a high mass. What is sung by the celebrant depends on the priest.

Funky Dung September 6, 2006 at 5:17 am

Oky doky. I guess “solemn” has a more precise meaning in this context than I was aware of. I was thinking along the lines of a dictionary definition like “characterized by dignified or serious formality, as proceedings; of a formal or ceremonious character”. I was also thinking that almost anything that isn’t plagued by Haugen, et al. is likely to be considered solemn. ;)

Lance January 21, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Church of the Most Holy Trinity — Augusta, GA. The oldest Catholic parish in Georgia. Does a nice job on Sunday mornings at 10. I wouldn’t call it Solemn High anymore, but they use incense, full procession, most reverent altarservers in Georgia. They have a full choir with organ every week, plus a full orchestra for high holy days. The celebrant tends to sing a good portion of the Mass. During penitential seasons, the common of the Mass is in Latin.

Lance January 21, 2007 at 8:23 pm

Ooops, forgot the website.

Jim Yowell February 24, 2007 at 3:24 pm

I am a singer and for years I have been singing the traditional movements of the mass, the Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Agnus Dei etc. which I thought was in “latin”.

I have a good friend who has joined me in singing and when I sang a movement from the Schubert Mass in G my friend responded that I was singing in Greek not latin.

Can you explain the difference?

Thanks for your help.

Ian February 24, 2007 at 3:31 pm

Hi Jim, the Kyrie is Greek, the other parts you were singing in Latin. There isn’t a Latin version of the Kyrie as far as I know.

Ralph Lowder June 27, 2008 at 2:23 pm

We have a parish in Littleton, Co. that offers the Tridentine Mass ever day.
It is very reverend and spiritual and beautiful!

admin June 27, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Thanks, Ralph, but I’m referring specifically to Novus Ordo Masses. Finding Tridentine Masses is easy. Finding Latin Novus Ordo Masses is kind of like fishing for trout in a mud puddle.