≡ Menu

Charlotte Church - Blasphemer

What is it about fame that makes people go bad?

The pilot for The Charlotte Church Show was recorded before a live audience on July 12 in London. During the show, the hostess Charlotte Church, dressed as drug-using nun, smashed open a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary revealing a hidden can of cider, and spoke about worshipping “St. Fortified Wine.” Along the same vein of comic blasphemy, the pop diva pretended to hallucinate while consuming communion wafers branded with Ecstasy smiley faces, and denigrated Pope Benedict XVI as a “Nazi”, even though she had performed for the late Holy Father, John Paul II, when she was a 12 year-old girl.

More here.

We aren't carrying her stuff anymore.

{ 7 comments… add one }

• dymphna July 24, 2006, 6:52 pm

It may have nothing to do with fame. Out of all the kids I went to high school with most were no longer Catholic by the time of our 10 year reunion. Most had children out of wedlock or were divorced. The ones who were still Catholic didn’t go to Mass that often including me at the time. Coming of age as a Catholic is not the same as it used to be.

• dymphna July 24, 2006, 6:53 pm

I am glad you aren’t carrying her music anymore though. She probably only did this disgusting thing to boost her sagging career.

• IRISHBOY August 1, 2006, 12:23 pm

Where does that kind of hate come from? And the most unbeleivable thing and the saddest is she is “Welsh”. She should be cast in a female lead of” THE OMEN”.

• Ella August 8, 2006, 11:38 am

I’m Welsh and Roman Catholic. I am appalled by what she did. It’s shameful. I used to listen to her classical music, but stopped after this. She really had so much potential…her career has been going down hill for a long time, and I suppose it’s only a matter of time before she goes back to obscurity.

• Pierre September 2, 2006, 5:58 pm

The “career-booster” scenario may seem off the wall, and it does seem so to me, but I was told that her career has been in a tailspin some weeks ago. So I am told, she “blew it” by pushing her voice too hard. If this is true, the behavior described above, despicable as it may be, fits right in. Now that she has apparently lost her following among those who like the kind of music she sang as a younger performer, she probably wants to appeal to others, namely those who are less so inclined. It is genuinely too bad that she has seen that as a viable option. She had such a terrific voice……

• Violeta December 7, 2006, 3:37 pm

If she thinks anyone will respect her by acting this way, she is wrong. She is a disgrace to the church. She is definately getting popularity, which is probably what she was trying to do, but it is in the next world that she will suffer. We need to pray that she finds another path before she suffers eternal fire.

• Christi December 11, 2006, 3:42 pm

I had not seen or heard about this, till I came here. Could someone please fill me in. I work odd hours so I’m a little slow on the goings around.